Toners are skin care staples and are usually the second step of a skincare routine (ie use right after washing face). They help remove excess oil, dirt, and debris from the face after cleansing. They hydrate the skin and prep it for the next skincare steps. Toners can also be used to treat skin conditions like acne or dryness. Some toners can even double up as removers or moisturizers depending on your preference.
What exactly is a toner?
- A toner is a skincare product that helps prep the skin for the rest of your skincare routine so that other products can work more effectively.
- It comes in a water-based liquid form that may be infused with skin-soothing ingredients like rosewater and aloe ie like our Rosewater Toner & Mist, Ricewater Cucumber Face Toners and our brightening Glow Toner. Both the Rosewater and Ricewater Toners are hydrating and anti-inflammatory. The Glow Toner (with AHA, glycolic acids and seaweed), brightens and gently exfoliates the skin.
- Face toner is meant to gently refresh your skin without stripping it of its natural moisture. It can help remove any last traces of dirt, grime and impurities stuck in your pores after you wash your face.
- While face toners are often used as a step between cleanser and moisturizer, they can also be used standalone to lightly hydrate skin. They're an easy way to care for skin and give it a healthy glow and complexion.
What are the benefits of using a toner?
A face toner is a type of skin care product that acts as a cleanser, hydrator and preservative for the skin. It's used after cleansing to add vitamins, amino acids, and minerals to the skin to aid in skin regeneration. Depending on the formula, some face toners can hydrate and nourish the skin with hyaluronic acid or witch hazel to provide hydration and anti-aging effects. They can also help balance the pH of the skin and remove hard water residue from the skin, which can help with oily skin.
Having a face toner as part of your skin care routine can help with acne-prone skin by smoothing out rough patches, improving skin tone, and closing pores. Depending on the ingredients used, a face toner may be beneficial for aging skin by targeting fine lines and wrinkles. If you're trying to rejuvenate your skin, it could be an excellent step to consider adding to your skincare routine.
How do you use toner?
Face toners are a type of skin care product used to refresh and hydrate the skin and can be used after cleansing the skin, before applying moisturizer or other skin treatments.
- A face toner should be used after cleansing the skin to help remove dirt, grime, and impurities from pores. This assists in restoring skin's pH levels and helps prevent acne and irritation.
- Face toners can be used by all skin types, but they may vary in formulation depending on skin type. Some people may prefer hydrating face toners while others may prefer cleanser-like face toners.
- When using a face toner, apply it with a cotton ball or cotton pad and gently sweep it across the skin. This helps to thoroughly cleanse the skin without over-drying it.
Face toners can help refresh the skin without stripping away its natural moisture and can help with oil production for oily skin. They're an easy way to hydrate your skin and improve its appearance.
Are face toners good for sensitive skin?
Having cleansed and moisturized your skin, the next most important step is to care for your skin with toner. Not only do they help remove excess oil and impurities from pores but also help tone your skin. Whenever you feel like your skin needs cleansing, using a face toner can help you out. As they are low-key cleansers and moisturizers, they are easy-to-use skincare products that work as cleansers and exfoliators at the same time. They also help fight acne, blackheads, and other skin conditions. If you have sensitive skin, face toners can be of great use as well. Since they’re pH-balanced, they don’t sting or cause redness like cleansers and facial washes do.